Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I heart Thursdays


I don't think Thursday would win a popularity contest among the days of the week. It seems to go by unnoticed, and I admit, I really used to view Thursdays as a means to an end--the weekend, that is (sorry, cannot resist an obvious pun). Now, however, my tune has changed. Thursday has become one of my favorite days of the week. Around the Dean household, Thursdays are our "Family Day" in celebration of Ryan's day off after his Wednesday night youth group event. We try to use our Family Day to explore more of this land foreign to us...the great state of Mississippi.

Take today for example. We went to an outdoor arts & crafts festival in Canton. Canton is a great little town with quite a famous square (famous because it was where the movie "A Time to Kill" was shot, starring Sandra Bullock & Matthew McConaughey) and is a great "day trip" from Jackson. I put day trip in quotation marks because in Atlanta, the fact that Canton is considered a day trip would be laughable seeing as it's a less than 30 minutes from our front door. We had fun shopping around, although we only bought food--cajun crabcakes (mmm!), local honey, and of course, FUDGE (I am a true southern belle).


Some of our day off activities so far have included: the Jackson Zoo, Vicksburg (to see the Mississippi River), a couple different state parks, the Jim Henson exhibit at the Mississippi Museum of Art, and of course, today's festival. We're always checking out local food joints, too. Evan's favorite? Probably the zoo. He had never seen so many funny looking "dogs" (his word for most four legged creatures).

4 comments:

  1. I believe I would heart Thursdays too if mine were so wonderful :). I can picture it now, Evan pointing at the giraffes and saying "dog"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Canton. Did you happen to stop by the Visitor's Center????? HAHA Gotta love an inside joke! :) You are making some wonderful memories with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out from a Mississippi friend of mine that Canton was also used to film portions of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "My Dog Skip." Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I definitely was tempted to stop by the visitor's center, but lost track of time :). I've got to tell the short version of the story: My mom and I were in Canton and stopped by the Visitor's Center to ask where the local antique stores were. The lady's answer: "Oh, honey, I am the wrong person to ask!"....ahem.

    ReplyDelete