Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Once a Teacher...

I have been a teacher since my youth (just ask my younger sister-my sole pupil for many years!), and I was blessed to have been given the opportunity to pursue a career in public education for 6 1/2 years in Georgia. Although I am now staying home full-time with my boys, it's not surprising that I've wanted to keep my foot in the door with teaching. Thankfully, I've been able to do that with Redeemer's afterschool tutoring ministry since moving to Jackson over 2 years ago.

Redeemer has had an afterschool program for many years now, and when I first moved here, I was able to get involved with curriculum development. My friend Christina and I now co-lead the program, which is a huge blessing. She handles the administrative duties since she has a business background, and I handle the curriculum for our K-6th graders, as well as tutor training.

We currently have 24 students and 24 tutors who meet weekly during the school year to work on reading. It's been amazing to see how the students have improved with this one-on-one help. I get the priviledge of reading with each student to assess their reading level, so I get a first-hand look at how they have improved throughout the year.

I love this ministry dearly, and it has been a great door for families in our community to become a part of our church. I also love how this ministry is gospel centered in that the students get to hear a Bible lesson prepared by our awesome Bible teachers (Mrs. Beth & Mrs. Betsy) each week.

Last week we had a really fun Christmas party. The students got to decorate sugar cookies, make ornaments, drink hot cocoa, and listen to the Christmas story. Let's just say this teacher-nerd had a little too much fun creating a centers/rotation schedule for the event...ah, once a teacher, always a teacher!


Check out some pics of the party:

Making some ornaments!


Zoe & Mary Claire having some fun

Bible lesson with Mrs. Beth


Johnny & Thompson enjoying some hot cocoa

No comments:

Post a Comment